I don’t know about you, but I love a warm apple fritter. The problem is, they are usually deep-fried in hot oil and not the healthiest. But have no fear. There is now a healthier way to make this delicious treat, in your air fryer! This easy recipe for Amish apple fritters is simple to follow and definitely satisfies that sweet tooth.
If you like fruity desserts you may also like this simple recipe for Air Fryer Pineapples.
💟Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Each fritter is like a mini apple pie but without all the calories.
- If you're not a morning person you can make these the night before and reheat following the directions listed in the Storage section of this post.
- This is an easy from scratch recipe to make if you're looking for new recipes to make in your air fryer.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- firm pie apples - Granny Smith is a great option
- fresh lemon juice
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- large eggs
- unsalted butter
- oil for spraying
For the powdered sugar glaze
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
See recipe card for quantities.
This is an overview of the instructions. Full instructions, including cooking time and temperature, are in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Peel, core, and chop apple and place in a small bowl. Sprinkle chopped apples with cinnamon and lemon juice.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale yellow and frothy. Whisk in milk followed by the melted butter.
Add wet ingredients to the large bowl in the center of the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
Gently fold in the apple mixture. Note that the batter will have a very soft consistency much like a cake batter instead of a biscuit or bread dough.
Prep the air fryer basket with either parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray or, if not using parchment paper, simply spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
Place large tablespoonfuls of the fritter batter into the basket in groups of 5 leaving space between each fritter. Put the remaining batter aside for the next two batches.
Set air fryer temperature to 360 degrees and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Check at the 7 minute mark and discontinue cooking once the fritters have a beautiful true golden brown color.
Remove from air fryer and place on a wire rack. Use the rest of the batter for the remaining two batches. Use a spatula to remove them as they will be hot!
If using the glaze option for the fritters stir ingredients to a smooth glaze consistency and drizzle or spoon over the tops of the fritters. I like to top mine with the sweet glaze while they are on the wire racks on top of a cookie sheet so that I can dip the fritters in the glaze that drizzles down on to the cookie sheet for even more flavor! The entire top of the fritter is coated and oh.my.word. it's tasty!
As an alternative you can simply sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve while warm with a large mug of coffee!
Hint: I like to make the fritters a little more uniform in size by using an ice cream scoop to measure out the batter but whatever works for you is perfect!
I also have recently switched from using canned cooking spray to using an oil sprayer that I purchased on Amazon.
You can fill it with any oil you like for cooking and baking and it sprays a nice even spray without getting too much oil in any one area of the air fryer basket or on the food your cooking. If you have any questions about it, just let me know.
- Real Lemon Juice - the plastic squeeze bottle you keep in the refrigerator can be used instead of fresh lemon juice. One lemon yields roughly 2 tablespoons of juice so use 2 tbs. It measures out equally with fresh.
This particular recipe was made with a Cosori 6.8 qt air fryer. If you're using a different brand of air fryer, you may need to adjust the cooking time and/or temperature accordingly as not all air fryers cook the same.
Once cooled store in an airtight container and reheat for 2 to 3 minutes in the air fryer at 350 degrees.
Coffee, tea, or a a delicious cold cup of milk.
For the best Amish apple fritters use fresh apples. They will give a nice firmness and crisp bite to these delicious treats.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it a 5 star rating. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Amish Apple Fritter Recipe in the Air Fryer
- Peel, core, and chop apples and place in small bowl.2 Granny Smith Apples
- Add lemon juice and cinnamon to chopped apples and toss. Set aside.2 Granny Smith Apples, 2 tbs lemon juice, ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- In large mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs and sugar together until mixture is a pale frothy yellow.2 eggs, 2 tbs granulated sugar
- Whisk the milk first, then the melted butter, into the egg mixture.¼ cup milk, 2 tbs unsalted butter
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients in the large bowl.
- Gently fold in the chopped apples.
- Spray oil directly on to the air fryer basket or onto parchment paper.
- Using an ice cream scooper or a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop apple fritter dough and place in air fryer basket 5 scoops at a time leaving room between the scoops.
- Working in batches, air fry at 360° for 7 to 8 minutes until the apple fritters are a nice golden brown.
- Remove from air fryer and allow to cool on wire rack.
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- Whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and water and drizzle over apple fritters.
👩🏻🍳 Food safety
- 🍲Never leave cooking food unattended
- 🌋Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds